Kate's Fear of TMJ

When Do Dental Implants Need To Be Placed By A Specialist?

Dental implants have become a very common tooth replacement option. In fact, dentists almost always recommend them over bridges unless there are some extenuating circumstances. Since implants are so common, most general dentists do provide them. However, a general dentist is not always equipped to handle more complicated implant cases. There are some situations in which they may refer you to a specialist for implant placement. Here are those situations.

You Want Multiple Teeth on One Implant

If you are missing more than one tooth in a row, dentists can often place one implant and then put all of the crowns on that single implant. This provides faster healing than placing several single implants in a row, and the jawbone tends to stay stronger, too. However, it is a more advanced procedure and one you may need to see an implant specialist for. 

Your Jaw Bone Is Small or Weak

Dental implants are placed directly in the jawbone, and as you heal, the jawbone grows in and around the implant, stabilizing it. If your jawbone is small or weak, then it may not be strong enough to support an implant. A specialist can apply a bone graft to the part of your jawbone where the implant will be placed. This is done a few months before your actual implant surgery. By the time your implant surgery comes, the graft will be integrated with your jawbone, resulting in a stronger, more stable structure.

You Need Subperiosteal Implants

The most common type of implants, which are inserted into the jawbone, are known as endosteal implants. There is another less common type of implant known as a subperiosteal implant. They are placed right below the living outer covering (periosteum) of the jawbone over the jawbone itself. This style of implant is sometimes recommended for patients with weaker jawbones who are not candidates for bone grafts. It may also be a good option for someone with a bone disease like osteoporosis. However, inserting subperiosteal implants is not a procedure all dentists learn since it is not that common. If you need this type of implant, you'll usually need to see a specialist. 

Dental implants give patients a way to replace missing teeth with a solution that will look and feel like a natural tooth. If your dentist refers you to a specialist for your implants, rest assured that they have your best interests in mind.

For more information, contact a dentist clinic in your area today such as Bremen Family Dentistry, PC.